Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Pain killers and pancakes

Anyone have any idea how long it takes for pain medicine to get through your system? It's been nearly 24 hours and I'm still exhausted and woozy...

Let's begin at the begining.

So Sunday afternoon after a nice day with my mom I head home. That evening I start to not feel well, and try to ignore it. I go to bed and wake up Monday morning (yesterday) feeling worse. I contemplated calling off work, but last week we had a ton of teachers take off for a spring break, and I couldn't remember if this week was the same.

I went into work and spoke to my director about possibly leaving early. At this point I was thinking I had another kidney stone. Around three I was given the okay to head home, I called my mom on the way and we talked about what I thought I should do. Long story short, I end up in the emergency room.

After being triaged and in the waiting room for three hours, (at least I finished a book during that time) I'm finally taken back. They do the usual urine test, blood test... they give me morphine and toridol (for pain), and zophran (for nausea). I'm told that I need a CAT scan of my abdomen but they won't need me to drink contrast since with stones they show up without that.

I go in and out of sleep for a while, get taken back to CAT scan and brought back. I was tired but awake when the doctor came in and informed me that there's good news and bad news. No one ever wants to hear that.

Good news: Not a kindey stone. I have stones in both kidneys, but they aren't moving at this time. (great, does this mean that eventually I'll have to deal with that?)

Bad news: I have a cyst on each ovary. The one on the right (where the worst of the pain was) measures 3.3cm. The one on the left is 2.4cm (which explains why I was feeling left side pain).

The tenative diagnosis from the ER doctor is that I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. Easy to treat (no cures though), generally done with hormonal birth control pills. Once I find a GYN that's taking new patients I can get an appointment and go get all this checked out.

Thankfully it was deemed that it was safe for me to go home, so long as if I noticed any signs of infection or other problems that I come right back.

I get home late, and go to check my email. I get this ATT Help Page. I decide bed sounds better and so I head there. I wake up around ten this morning and try again. Same thing. Apparently the payment wasn't ever put through and they disconnected. Dad says that in four hours at the most it should be up... and five and a half hours later it wasn't. This time I call... and they go through the hoopla (at least this time helping me, since when I first called they told me that since I'm not the account holder they can't tell me anything) and we have to re-register the account. Now, here I am. At last. I was bored today.

At least I made some killer pancakes for dinner!

My co-teacher texed me this morning to tell me a co-worker of ours had her baby last night. Jackie wasn't due until June... and her going away/baby shower was planned for this Friday after work since that was going to be her last day. Thankfully mom and baby are doing well. Congrats Jackie and Todd and welcome Baby Bri!

No comments: